A Guide to Passport Renewal

, , No Comments

Just recently, I booked a flight going to Hong Kong as our gift for Mama who's turning 50 this September. So of course all of us need a passport, but mine and mama's already expired, my Kuya's passport on the other hand is nearly expiring, and only Yeboy had a new one since he had a trip to Singapore earlier this year. Good thing, DFA in Robinsons Lipa is open even every Saturdays (our only common time).

So we planned on going to Rob as early as 5AM! But of course, we cannot do that given our family is very appreciative of sleep (lelz) so we reached DFA by 7AM. Mama's quite anxious that the lines will be endless, but shockingly the queue's not as long as we expected! Maybe because not everyone knows that DFA is also open on Saturdays! (Now we know, Hehe.)

The application process of passport renewal is as follows:

1. Filling out of application forms
By 8AM, the guards started distributing application forms for everyone to fill out and respective queue numbers. After that, they told us to return by 9AM. They also reminded (and announced using their megaphone) that proper attire should be observed. Meaning, no sleeveless shirts/blouses, plunging necklines, shorts, short skirts, beach wear and slippers! And i was precisely the perfect model for not following the dresscode! The guard was even looking at me while announcing the awful news. Haha! Well, it was really my mistake because I didn't think of what I should wear. I just grabbed the comfiest outfit I could easily get. HAHA

Fortunately I had an extra collared blouse in our car, and I managed to borrow an extra pair of pants and shoes from my Aunt who lives in Lipa, just near Rob. Haha! So when my attire's already settled, we returned to Rob-DFA at 9:30 AM. We're #62-64 in line so we didn't stick to the call time. When we got there, we're just right on time since #30's already being called.

2. Processing of documents
When our numbers were called, the personnel instructed us to have our old passports photocopied. There's already a photocopying booth there, you just need to pay 5Php/page. Afterwards, we waited for our turn for our documents to be finally processed. Unfortunately, mine was not processed!! I forgot to bring my NSO- authenticated birth certificate! Actually, I knowingly left it at home since the only requirements in passport renewal are your old passport and valid ID. The problem was that my old passport is literally old-- expired last 2008! So, the staff wanted an identity check since I look very very young in my old one. HAHA As if I'll file for another person! So anyway, I wasn't able to proceed. But my Kuya and Mama were! So I just waited outside for them to finish.. :)

3. Payment
Passport renewal costs P950. Make sure to keep your receipts!

4. Encoding
During encoding, your photo will be taken as well as thumb marks of both hands. Afterwards, you'll be asked to recheck your details (spelling, etc.) Reminder: make sure you're not wearing contact lenses during photo taking or else they will ask you to remove them. And also your jewelries. :)

Even though I wasn't able to renew my passport, the staff noted in my form that I can return anytime between Mondays to Saturdays at 12 noon, and doesn't need to fall in line again. I just need to present my NSO birth certificate and proceed with the other processing steps! Whew.

So, lesson learned! Other than observing the proper dress code, you should also bring the necessary requirements! It was really stupid of me to leave my birth certificate behind. It didn't have any weight so it cannot bring any hassle! Haha. Anyways! So much for regrets :))

WHAT TO BRING:
- Ballpen
- Old Passport
- NSO-authenticated Birth Certificate (just to make sure)
- valid government ID
- photocopy of first and last page of your old passport

After the application process, the passports can be claimed after 30 working days :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment